Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Run your RACE!


Fourteen years ago our family adopted a Border Collie and we named her Lacy.  
Three months after we welcomed her into our home, we also welcomed my Mom into our home as we awaited the transformation of our garage into an apartment for her. (see the beginning of this blog in 2008 for the story of God's provision of that process!)


Lacy is such a beautiful display of God's creativity.
On Saturday, July 9, 2022, Lacy finished her race as we had her put to sleep.  Earlier in the week we found out that she had multiple tumors and was in pain.
It was a prayerful and excruciating decision.
It is difficult to articulate what her absence means to our family. We have cried SO many tears and miss her so much here at Beacon Hall.
She was a gift of grace from the Lord and served and loved us well, including Mom, for 
fourteen years.

These two have been FAITHFUL friends, literally at my side, as a caregiver.
I love this image of the two of them in the golden light at Story Cottage.
Gentle friends designed by God to shepherd others.
I will miss seeing the two of them together.
I do not know how long my caregiving season with my Mom will last, but I will be forever grateful that Lacy was with me in the mundane and crush of it all.
I will be constantly in speechless awe of Damon's kindness to me and to my Mom over these fourteen years with her in our home.  
I praise the Lord for this man who has prayed for me and served alongside me and shown me the love of Jesus as we love and serve my widowed mother.

In the summer of 2017 my Mom, Damon and I had the fun honor of setting up a 5k race for a special group of friends from all over the country (A Year In The Making).  Damon and Anne were at the Finish Line marking it off for all the runners.  I had the joy of running alongside my friend, leader and teacher, Karen, who had come to know more about the story of my mother and I and the journey of caregiving for a parent with NPH and dementia.  I remember running and pondering what it would be like to have my Mom, who cannot run and even walks with a "magnetic gait" because of NPH, waiting to cheer me across the finish line.  This week this photo has been a precious image for me as I ponder "finishing the race".  Lacy is now finished and at rest and no longer in pain.  Anne is still pressing on.  What a wild and unexpected timing that God has allowed in the lives of Anne and Lacy.

Early in the last 47 days, while my Mom and I were praying together she pleaded with the Lord to allow her to "finish her race".  We too have been pleading with the Father that He would release my Mom from her diseased body and bring her into His glory at her "finish line".  I picture all the men and women and children who are bearing burdens with us through prayer and cheering my Mom on toward God's intimate timing for HER finish.  She is so peaceful and not in pain, and yet she "runs" with longing for heaven.  Thank you for joining us in asking the Father to welcome her across that line SOON.  And thank you for praying that Damon and me will be faithful and steadfast as we run alongside her in these moments of unknowing.


 

No comments: